Enjoy a discovery hike around the property while learning interesting facts (and maybe a few less factual stories too) about woodland flora & fauna and the ecosystem they are integral parts of.
Select a single theme for a specialized 1 or 2 hour hike, or combine up to 3 themes for a general 2 hour hike.
- Tree ID – Discover how to identify a variety of trees in ways you can remember, and later impress your friends J. You’ll also learn tree attributes, contemporary & traditional uses, plus clever ways to estimate height & diameter.*
- Mammal Tracks & Homes – Learn to identify mammal tracks & other signs. You will also locate animal homes above & below ground and determine who lives or lived in them.
- Woodland Birds – Learn to identify, by sight and sound, some of the birds large and small, both year-round residents and seasonal visitors, who inhabit the forest and its margins.
- Ground Level Plants – Explore a cross-section of non-tree forest plants including a selection of shrubs, herbs, ferns, mosses, lichens, plus maybe some fungi. **
- Insects – Stop saying yuck and start saying wow as you learn the impressive functions and feats of these sometimes-annoying yet highly-essential woodland creatures. **
- Hidden Critters – We’ll take a magnifying lens to look for small organisms (like detritivores, who do a lot of the big work in a forest) as well as larger ones who rarely show themselves. **
*most popular **not available in winter
1 HOUR $50 or 2 HOURS $75 · up to 5 persons · available only to guests staying at Off-Grid Retreat.
Request in advance to confirm; short-notice requests on an as-available basis.
If you see “Message Sent” your submission was successful, and you can expect to hear back within 24 hours (often sooner)… if you haven’t, check your Junk Mail/SPAM folder. Add the @naturemail.ca domain to your safe senders list to avoid missing our message.