All guests are welcome to a brief guided tour of the renewable energy system which fully powers this off-grid property. However, if you are thinking of going off-grid yourself, or perhaps just interested to know how it all works, this comprehensive 3-hour workshop will provide an in-depth primer on off-grid life and home-scale renewable energy generation, and should prove to be a good investment!
Learn from someone who has navigated the learning curve from on-grid suburban life to independent off-grid country living. Topics include:
- Off-grid living: what’s similar, what’s different from living on-grid.
- Assessing needs – estimating power consumption, sizing a system.
- Home-scale renewable energy generation: solar
- Home-scale renewable energy generation: wind
- Back-up energy generation: fossil fuel generators
- Storage: battery types and basic concepts.
- Charging: voltage regulation, charging cycles.
- DC-to-AC Conversion: inverter types, technologies, and capacities.
- Off-grid living: specialized appliances, lighting, conservation tips & tricks.
This workshop is available to Off-Grid Retreat guests, but may also be booked by people not staying here (all other Options services are for guests only), and includes a light meal during discussion period at the end. Consult current rate card for cost.